01531 631 533
8 replies

Jaga Play radiators not heating up

Posted on 07/01/2015 3:33am
skypilot04

Several of our Play radiators are not warming up at all. They all have DBE fitted and the lights indicate low water temperature. However the boiler tells me that the water temperature is at 75 degrees and the inlet pipes on all the radiators is hot. A number of Strada radiators on the same circuit are hot. Any suggestions of how to fix them.
Many thanks

8 Replies
  • Jaga_JustinV
    Commented on 07/01/2015 11:06am

Good morning,

Do you have the air temperature sensor hanging just below the heating element or have you attached it to the black clip and connected it to the heating element?

When you place your hand over the top grille, can you feel any heat coming from the units or nothing at all?

Regards

• skypilot04
    Commented on 07/01/2015 4:57pm

Thanks for your reply. I don't know the answer to the first question as I didn't do the install. I am happy to have a look but I can't see how to get the cover off. I can't seem to find instructions on how to do this is the documentation I have.

In answer to the second question, I don't feel any heat coming from the units when I place my hand over the grill.

They have been working fine for 18 months.

Regards

• Jaga_JustinV
    Commented on 08/01/2015 11:52pm

Good afternoon,

If the units have been working fine for the last 18 months or so then the issue might be one of the following:

Room is already up to temperature
    Is the TRV open?
    Are both pipes (flow & return) hot? If not then perhaps the valves are blocked by debris from the system. Alternatively, there might be air trapped in the pipes which need venting.
    Has there been any work carried out on the system recently or new valves added which have not been balanced correctly?
    Were the rads taken off and then put back on and the air temperature sensor placed incorrectly back on? - I have attached a DBE instruction to this message to help with checking this point.

Kind regards

Attached Files
  • Jaga_JustinV
    Commented on 08/01/2015 11:52pm

With regards to removing the Play casing, please see the attached instructions. you will need a 3mm allen key to undo the bolts in the top grille then gently lift the casing up off the brackets and lift casing towards you. However, you should be able to see down through the top as to where the air sensor is located, it should be hanging just below the casing by about 10mm or so as per the previous posts instructions.

kind regards

Attached Files
  • skypilot04
    Commented on 09/01/2015 4:20pm

Thank you for your responses and attached info - it was very helpful. To answer your questions above.

In 4 of the 6 rads the temperature sensor was just over 2 cm below the heating element. In the other 2 rads it had been bent up to touch the heating element (probably by a cleaner) I bent it down into the correct position but still no heat from those two.

Room wasn't up to temperature and the TRV was open to max

The flow was hot but the return was only just warm. No additions or changes have been made to the system since installation.

Having taken the cover off 3 of the rads I found that the heating elements were completely cold. I then pushed the top of the thermostatic valve down a few times and after that the top pipe of the heating elements got hot at the valve end, not so hot at the other end. After a while the top of the heating element was hot enough for the fans to start. However the middle and lower pipes in the element were barely warm. This process was repeated for the 3 rads I took the covers off. I am not sure but does this indicate the thermostatic valves were sticking?

• Jaga_JustinV
    Commented on 13/01/2015 4:18pm

Good afternoon,

It sounds like it might be a balancing issue, or something is stopping the flow of water into the element as you said when you moved the TRV water entered the element. Do you have any steel panel / towel rails on the same system as the Plays?

We would suggest that you close all the TRVs on all the radiators then open each one individually and see if you get a good water flow through each single radiator.

If the above works then it is a system issue rather than a radiator issue, it is possible that the system needs flushing / cleaning especially if there are steel panels or towel rails on the same system as rust and other debris breaks down and builds up inside the system and might eventually clog things up, such as valves or pipe work.

Another consideration is that the pump has failed and is not pushing enough water through.

It is best that you get a qualified heating engineer in to look into things further.

Kind regards

• Jaga_JustinV
    Commented on 10/02/2015 10:27am

Good morning,

I was wondering if your Play is now working and what the issue was? If it is still not heating up correctly please let me know and we will see what else we can do to rectify.

Kind regards.

Please complete the form below to ask us about any of our products or their applications and one of our consultants will be in touch with you.

Cookies & Your Privacy

We make use of cookies on this website to store small snippets of information on your computer.

This information is used to provide both a superior experience and also provide us with anonymous information about how visitors use our website.

Dismiss Find out more