01531 631 533
3 replies

Barn Heating Solution - Antifreeze?

Posted on 16/11/2012 6:10pm
burgundy

I'm currently renovating a double barn in France. I'm considering using an air source heat pump (though not decided which one) & radiators to heat two 7m x 7m rooms downstairs & the equivalent area upstairs. One of the upstairs areas will be a mezzanine. As I would like to use the heating during winter, and leave to 'tick over' when we aren't in residence, can a form of antifreeze be added to the radiators & pipework? Temperatures are often at -20C in winter. Also which radiators may be the most appropriate?

A bit of a long winded message - sorry.

Many thanks in anticipation of your reply. Rob

3 Replies
  • Justin_Jagauk
    Commented on 10/03/2013 3:35pm

Hello,

Thank you for your message.

With regards to which unit is best to use, I would advise a Strada DBE (especially if using an ASHP with low operating temperatures). More details can be found here >> http://www.jaga.co.uk/products/wall-mounted/strada/

The elements used in our units are copper tube with aluminium fins, I can come back to you about the system additive to stop freezing as I will have to check.

If you need any more help we have a French outlet, the number is +0800 90 89 51 or e-mail info@jaga.fr (if you purchase in the UK and take the units abroad then the guarantee becomes null and void).

Regards.

• burgundy
    Commented on 11/05/2012 12:59pm

Thank you for your advice.

I am still interested in which is the most appropriate additive to prevent freezing & look forward to your next update.

regards. Rob

• Justin_Jagauk
    Commented on 11/05/2012 3:20pm

Hi Rob,

In all fairness it's not really down to us to advise on using an additive in a system as we don't know what other parts are being used or the conditions, all we can say is that as long as the additive is suitable for use with copper, brass & neoprene then it will be acceptable, however, our units will only be a small part on an otherwise large system with many parts. The best thing to do is to check with the installer / other component manufacturers to make sure it is ok with their products too.

Trust that this is satisfactory.

Regards.

Please complete the form below to ask us about any of our products or their applications and one of our consultants will be in touch with you.

Cookies & Your Privacy

We make use of cookies on this website to store small snippets of information on your computer.

This information is used to provide both a superior experience and also provide us with anonymous information about how visitors use our website.

Dismiss Find out more